Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Dog Sees God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead" by Bert V. Royal...a dramatic monologue

CB's SISTER: Metamorphosis. Transformation. Evolution. Change. Evolution. Change. Changing evolution. I am a teenage caterpillar. I know of these things.  For soon, I'll spin a cocoon. And from the silk-like craft that I will create, a magnificent creature will emerge. No. Not a butterfly. For butterflies are a dime a dozen. Destined to flit about for a day or so, then drop dead. Or have its wings ripped off by a demented child. Or have its body pinned to a piece of cheap foam core and matted underneath a cheap frame and hung in the bathroom of an elderly woman who reeks of Preparation-H and Vicks VapoRub. This will not be my fate. This CANNOT be my fate. I will become a platypus. It's not impossible. It's just never been done before. It's only a matter of time, you see. If I stay in my cocoon longer, I'll change from a butterfly to a swallow to a duck and then from a duck to a platypus. It's only a matter of time. And time I have. I will wait to become a platypus. I will be an extraordinary creature..... And when I poked my head out of my cocoon, I realized I had stayed inside for too long. I had, unwittingly, gone from platypus to beaver to walrus to chimpanzee to a human. I had evolved much more than I even wanted to. Now I would learn to speak and learn to think and ask questions and make friends and lose friends and cry and laugh and maybe fall in love one day and maybe see that love go away and maybe climb a mountain. But I never wanted to do any of these things. Platypuses don't feel things, do they?

No comments:

Post a Comment